|. Ashover Butts .|
Butts - Stan Roberts
The Ashover Light Railway opened in 1925 using mainly surplus War Department material from the Great War, including goods stock and six locomotives of American origin.
Four new coach bodies from Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Co. and eight open coach bodies second-hand from the Wembley "Never-Stop" railway, were all mounted on ex-W.D. bogies.
The railway ran from Clay Cross to Ashover with a station in a flat area of land known as the "Butts" - hence its name. There was a limestone quarry and a precast concrete works making amongst other items, garden gnomes! The model portrays this area.
Published by Chris MacKenzie for the
Virtual Narrow Gauge Model Railway Exhibition
This page not in a frame? Go to www.ngrail.co.uk